Monday, September 27, 2010

Taxi Driver Who Hit Jonathan’s Car Charged For Attempted Murder

A taxi driver who rammed into the car conveying President Goodluck Jonathan on his official duty may have experienced hell on earth, in the hands of law enforcement officers who detained him for several months and charged him to court for what they termed attempted murder.

Mr. Ameh Onyeke, a taxi driver within the FCT, was dragged to a Gwagwalada court for alleged dangerous driving and attempted murder of the president. The case was filed at Court 11 Gwagwalada. Although hearing was scheduled for last Thursday, it didn't hold as the prosecutor was absent.

According to the counsel to Mr Ameh Barr. Ayam Michael, Ameh was arrested after the incident and was beaten black and blue by security agents in Mr. President's convoy around February this year, when his vehicle rammed into the President's car along area 11, Garki. He was promptly clamped into detention, where he was said to have spent over three months. Though he was granted bail after three months, since then, the case is yet to proceed in the court.

According to the defense counsel to the accused, who spoke to Leadership Sunday exclusively, the prosecutor, Barr Taiwo Malik ,attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) only attended the court once, which was when he filed the case according to section 129 of the criminal code and have not been seen again.

Barr Ayam further informed that, he had moved a motion for his client's vehicle to be returned to him since his client has no plans of killing Mr. President as alleged. In his words, "there is nothing about the boy killing the President. Rather, it is as a result of security lapses on the side of Mr. President's security agents, who were supposed to be at alert to forestall any harm possible of befalling the President. Therefore, if the car of a poor taxi driver could ram into the president's car, then there is no security in this country,” he concluded.

Meanwhile, Mr. Ameh Onyeke is yet to be given back his car which was confiscated by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) since January.

When contacted, media spokesman for president Jonathan, Mr. Ima Niboro said he was not aware of the incident.

Fashola fires LASAA Boss over Corruption, appoints new head

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola ( SAN) has sacked the Managing Director of Lagos State Signage and Advertisement Agency (LASAA), Makanjuola Alabi over alleged financial misappropriation and abuse of office by the agency’s helmsman while in office.

Fashola, who relieved him of his job immediately approved the appointment of Mr. Tunji Bello, the former Lagos State commissioner for environment as the new managing director of the agency.
In a statement signed by the Lagos State Head of Service, Mr. Adesegun Ogunlewe, made available to newsmen, the appointment of Bello is with immediate effect.

The plight of the former embattled LASAA boss started when a group operating under the platform of “Majekobaje Eko Integrity Group” petitioned the Lagos State House of Asssembly on fraud allegedly perpetrated by the sacked managing director.

The petition, which was signed by Olajide O.O. and Akanbi K, was read on the floor of the House by the Clerk of the House, Taiwo Olatunji alleging that the LASAA MD paid N1.2 million every two weeks as hotel expenses for one Miss Nike Adekanbi, his wife’s younger sister, whom he employed as a consultant on human resources.

The group in the same petition alleged that LASAA realized over N100 million from mobile advert in 2009 “but Alabi claims the agency did not realize any money. The receipts issued to companies that made payments are available and have been sent to the appropriate government agencies.

“Our investigation has also revealed that Mr. Alabi acquired two plots of land in Banana Island, in Ikoyi at the rate N300 million each, the survey of the plots was carried out by Lekan Osinibi and Bobby, his staff at Baruwa Architects, whose office is situated inside LASAA,
“In an attempt to falsify account records, Alabi has moved the audit unit to his office and no staff of the agency except his cohorts can go to the audit department in his office without his ,” the group alleged.

It was also alleged in the petition that in December 2008, the LASAA MD ordered the Accountant of the, Ajewole Kehinde Johnson, to envelope 3000 dollars and he alleged that it was for the members of the Assembly as special package.

19 year old Damilola emerges as Miss Nigeria

Damilola Agbajor being decorated by nike

Twenty young beautiful girls from different State where paraded at this year Miss Nigeria Competition. Erica Okuneye,24yrs, 1st runner-up, Miss Lagos and Obori Edenkwo, 25yrs, 2nd runner-up, Miss Cross- River.

The Competition did not show case swimwear segment. The outstanding young ladies where said to be judged on poise, intelligence, cultural values as well as beauty.
First Miss Nigeria pageant was held in 1957, producing Grace Tinke Oyelude as the first Miss Nigeria. 36th Miss Nigeria has since emerged up till 2004.
According to Chief Adenike Oshinowo-Soleye, the executive producer of the new Miss Nigeria Competition;” will once again showcase positive attributes of the Nigerian woman- elegance, poise, talent, intelligence as well as beauty. Miss Nigeria historically has been a role model to the Nigerian society at large and a spokesperson for national volunteerism and charity, while using her title to educate millions of Nigerians on issues of importance to herself and the society”.
Present at the event, are Mrs Josephine Anineh, minister for women affair, Alhaji Sadiq Mohammed, minister for Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Otunba Rusewe, Danladi Bako and other important persons in the Country

Nigerian builds biggest hospital in Brooklyn

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has commissioned one of the biggest hospitals in Brooklyn built by a Nigerian, Dr Ifeanyi Obiakor.

Dr. Ifeanyi C. Obiakor

He called on other Nigerians in Diaspora to think home and help in the development of the country.

A statement by Obi’s Special Adviser on Media, Val Obienyi, made available to Sunday Sun said the commissioning was part of his one-day visit to America as he accompanied President 890Goodluck Jonathan to the United Nations Session.

Obi who met with various investors in America while on the working visit according to Obienyi also turned the sword of the Sleep Centre under construction by the same Nigerian doctor, Ifeakor, an indigene of Anambra State.

According to him, on hand to help the governor was the Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwuma and other dignitaries from Nigeria and America. Obi who was accompanied by his wife, Margaret, expressed surprise at the magnificence of the hospital and how well equipped it was.

He said he strived to attend the function because he felt delighted in seeing Nigerians especially Anambrarians do well in their various fields. “Already, he is building a hospital and university in Abuja, but I will subtly remind him to remember Anambra State especially. I am particularly proud that he has employed many Nigerian doctors as well as whites in the hospital.

“I am proud of him and as an evidence that he is not afraid of his roots, he named all his businesses in America, including the Hospital and pharmacy after Igbo names”, he said. The Minister of health commended Obiakor for his bold strides and told him that now was the time for him to partner with the Government.

The climax of the event was the inspection of the hospital and its many departments led by Obiakor.

He explained that the hospital started with the department of Gynecologist and Obstetrics before expanding to community Medicine, Pharmacy and other departments. He said that he was already talking with the New York State University for conversion into a health institute and highlighted the planned establishment of HIV training and management department.

"My life is under threat", 106 year old man exclaims!

A 106-year-old man, Mr. Samuel Ugwu of Ndiagu Ameachi Awkunanaw community, in Enugu South Local Government Area of Enugu State, has petitioned the state police command over what he described as ”issuance of death threats” to him and members of his family.

He appealed to the police and state government to scuttle the alleged moves by some unknown persons to kill him and members of his family.

The petition, which was titled “Complaint on Issuance of Death Threats to my Life,” was signed by Samuel and addressed to the Assistant Commissioner of Police, Area Command Headquarters of the state command.

The centenarian alleged that the unknown hoodlums had prior to the threat to his life, his wife and two sons, kidnapped one of his sons, Chijioke Ugwu, who was released after the family had paid N500, 000 as ransom.

In the petition made available to PUNCH METRO through his son, Afam, Samuel stated that a group of armed young men invaded his apartment on Tuesday, August 17, 2010, at about, and ordered him and his household to leave the house or get killed.

According to him, when he demanded to know why the hoodlums asked him to leave his residence, they (armed men) told him that he was ”a slave bought by their forefathers in those days.”

The old man, who spoke in Igbo through an interpreter, his son, in a very low voice, said it was at that juncture that he explained to the bandits that he inherited “the place from my forefathers.”

He added that rather than listened to him, the hoodlums advised him to ”quickly follow their instruction or I will be kidnapped the way they did to my son in July this year.”

Samuel said, ”The sum of N500, 000 was paid as ransom to the kidnappers before he (his son) was freed.

“They have now shifted attention to me with serious threats, saying that nothing will happen to them if they destroy me and my family to enable them to achieve their objectives.

”I want you, the commissioner, to send your men to come and interview the villagers. They will tell you how this group has shot and wounded some people, while some have fled to the north and Lagos for safety of their lives.”

He added that out of fear that the hoodlums might carry out their threat, he hardly slept in his compound because of “these people.”

“They have always come to my house in search of my two sons as well as my daughter,” he added.

The petition also reads, “They have always boasted that they have backers and that if they kill me and my children, nobody will question them, not even the police, while they repeatedly referred to me as a slave.

“I have told them to approach the matter through the law court, instead of looking for someone else‘s blood to achieve their objective.”

The petition, which was also copied to the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of zone 9, Umuahia, Abia State, also stated, ”Nobody in our village can challenge these people. If you see them; they are always looking drunk with raps of Indian hemps with fearful faces.

“I am finding it difficult to sleep in my house because they may come anytime as the deadline they gave me is fast approaching.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the receipt of the petition.

“The command is looking into the matter and will take urgent steps,” he said.

Brave Driver rescues kidnapped Doctor

The proprietor of Mount Gilead Hospital, Benin City, Caleb Igbinehin yesterday cheated a five-man gang of kidnappers, as he was miraculously rescued just 30 minutes after he was kidnapped in the city.

The consultant family physician, who operates one of the leading private hospitals in Edo State, explained that he was at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses at Odiase Street, off Benin Technical School Road, at about 9am, where he served as the chairman of the first service, a Public Talk, when the drama started.

Mr Igbinehin said that after the opening song and prayer, he introduced the speaker and stepped down from the podium, only for him to be accosted by an armed man waving with a rifle, who asked him to move out of the prayer hall.

“Knowing what was happening, I maintained my composure and simply complied with this abductor’s order. He then handed me to another man armed with a pistol, who then commanded me to climb a waiting motorcycle outside the Kingdom Hall,” Mr Igbinehin said.

The doctor said that his captors then sandwiched him between two of their members, while the other three rode on another motorcycle and sped off through Ubgowo-Lagos Road to Oluku, where they diverted to Benin-Akure road.

“The moment we came out to the major road, I was surprised to see some people shouting, ‘look at them, look at them.’ But the men zoomed off with me,” he said.

However, luck was on his side, as the kidnappers were pursued and the medical practitioner rescued at Oluku.

Bold driver

Isaac Opuama, the driver of the doctor, who facilitated the rescue of his boss, told the rest of the story:

“I was with my director in the Kingdom Hall when they were taking him away. I jumped into my KIA jeep and drove after them. I went through the major road and caught up with the other three kidnappers on the same motorcycle at Ugbowo-Lagos Road by Iguomorhe. I then hit them several times with the jeep from behind. They then fell into a ditch. One of the kidnappers was caught with two guns by some men who were nearby, while the other two escaped.

“I then ran after the other gang member, who carried my director. I met up with them at Oluku. To ensure that my director is not injured, I brushed the motorcycle by the side, after which they stopped and asked my director to disembark and ran away and I brought my director back to the town.” When NEXT visited the hospital, all the workers were in a celebratory mood, drinking, and dancing. The ecstatic doctor could not hide his joy, as he was full of praises, thanking God for his miraculous rescue from his abductors.

He also called on security agencies and the media to help bring an end to the cases of kidnapping in the state.

Mr Igbinehin declined to have his picture taken, citing security reasons.

The acting police spokesman, Awhara Ejiroro, said he has not been officially briefed. But as at the time of filing this report, the arrested kidnapper was in police custody at the BDPA Estate Police Station.